History of Rutherford House
The original part of Rutherford House dates back to the early 1800′s when it was built as a Coach Inn for travellers going from North to South. It appeared on the first ordnance survey map, which was prepared between 1855 – 1859. It was known as Rutherford Castle Inn, and travellers on horseback would stop, tie their horses up, spend the night and continue on their journey the next day.
It was considerably improved and extended in the mid 1800′s by James Grieg, the owner at that time, into what is now the main dwelling house. The building had originally faced West, and once extended was altered so that the main entrance was South facing and accessed via an avenue of trees off the main road.
Over the years Rutherford House has been a home to several families, some of whom have recently contacted us and have sent memoires of their days spent in and around the house and it’s environs. Among other recounts, the old oak tree in the front garden was mentioned in the memoires of the Philip family, dated in 1890′s, as having played host to a children’s swing and happy memories of their childhood. Upon our arrival at Rutherford House we decided to erect a rope swing for our children on the very same Oak tree that the Philips children has swung on and enjoyed so much over 130 years ago.
It remained a private home to several families over the years until the late 1900′s, when Mr and Mrs Swan purchased the property and converted it into a Bed and Breakfast. They built up a successful clientèle over the years until they retired. It was once again sold as a private home in 2005 before being bought by ourselves and we have once again turned it into an upmarket Bed and Breakfast.